What Is the Paleo Diet
The Paleo Diet was founded by Loren Cordain, PhD and is made up of the foods people ate prior to the Agricultural Revolution. It is made up of fresh fruits and vegetables, meats, seafood, eggs and nuts. Dieters are encouraged to eat fresh fruits and vegetables instead of grains and dairy. The diet is full of soluable fiber, antioxidants, omega-3 and monounsaturated fats and low-glycemic carbohydrates. The theory is that these foods do not contain ingredients that have been associated with many chronic diseases like heart disease, obesity and diabetes. Paleo dieters believe that we are genetically adapted to the Paleo diet because the Paleo foods are exactly what our ancestors ate.
Paleo Diet Guidelines:
- You can eat unlimited amounts some vegetables and a moderate amount of fruits and nuts
- You can eat unlimited amounts of saturated fats (especially coconut oil, butter, olive oil, avocado oil, macadamia oil)
- You can eat a high protein diet (red meat, poultry, pork, eggs, organ meats, fish and shellfish). All meat you eat should be grass fed.
- You can eat large amounts of cooked or frozen vegetables served with fat. You can also eat yams and sweet potatoes.
- You can eat moderate amounts of fruits and nuts. (berries high in antioxidants and nuts high in omega-3 and low in polyunsaturated fats (like macadamia nuts).
- You should eliminate all vegetable and hydrogenated oils
- You chouls eliminate sugar, soft drinks and juices.
- You should eliminate dairy, with the exception of butter and heavy cream
- You should eliminate all grains
Dr. Cordain does allow three non-paleo meals per week.
Is the Paleo Diet Healthy? Paleo Dieters claim that:
- The unlimited portion size of proteins serve to increase your metabolism. This helps you loose weight faster.
- Protein also fills you up more than other foods so you do not get hungry as fast.
- The unlimited carbohydrates in fruits and vegetables have a low-glycemic index so they cause slow and limited rises in blood sugar. This helps prevent diabetes.
- The fruits and vegetables also cause your body to have a slightly alkaline PH which reduces your risk of osteoporosis, kidney stones,stroke, high blood pressure, insomnia and more. High acid diets tend to cause calcium to be depleted from your bones passed through your kidneys and into your urine.
- You may want to supplement with vitamin D and probiotics.
What Can the Paleo Diet do for you? Paleo dieters believe that:
- You will have more energy
- You will sleep better
- You will loose weight ( my daughter-in-law lost 30 pounds in 6 months!) without starving to death
- You will not be at high risk for many chronic diseases
- If you have an autoimmune disease, you can slow or reverse its’ progression
- Improve your sense of well being
- Improve of eliminate acne
- Increase your libido
What do you think? Is this a healthy diet. Have you tried the Paleo Diet? Did it work for you?